Professional Qualifying Examination (PQE)
The Professional Qualifying Examination (PQE) form the pinnacle of the Institute’s qualification. Completion of these exams is an illustration of one’s developed knowledge and understanding of the commercial shipping industry. It comprises of seven exams which you can do over five years. Out of these, four are compulsory and the remaining three can be chosen from a list of twelve optional subjects (please refer to the Group 1 and 2 section). Many people complete in a much shorter time and are often also eligible for exemptions to some exams based on industry experiences and prior qualifications. Exemptions don’t apply to the Diplomas, so if you are eligible for a few, it may make sense to start your journey with PQE. Embarking on PQE will mean you can pick and choose how many exams to take from the syllabus. Once you have completed your PQEs you will be eligible to apply for membership with the Institute.
Seven subjects must be successfully completed within the 5 years to be eligible for application for membership of the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers. Please note: local and international vetting of candidates will decide ultimately whether the candidate will be elected as a member.
Introduction to Shipping Legal
Principles in Shipping Business
Economics of Sea Transport
International Trade Shipping Business
Dry Cargo Chartering
Ship Operation & Management
Ship Sale & Purchase
Logistics and Multi-modal Transport
Port and Terminal Management
Offshore Support Industry
Group 1 & 2
- The institute offers this course as the gateway to membership. To be eligible for membership you must pass all four of the compulsory subject examinations, along with any three specialism subjects of your choice.
- R 6 413 per subject i.e. R12 826.00 for the year Excl. Vat
- Subscription fee= R316.94 per annum Incl. Vat
- Exam registration fee= R2700 per academic year
- Early bird entry fee= R1980 (Nov and May Exams), valid to 12/09/2022
- Standard fee= R3380.00 (Nov and May Exams)
031 824 1388
Durban Office Staff
Sanisha Balmeek - Administration Officer
Ecinga Gwaza- Communication Coordinator